Question:
Any suggestions on half price restaurant gift certificates?
N-N2010
2009-11-30 09:47:40 UTC
I have heard of offers for half price restaurant gift certificates. Example: Pay $25 for a $50 gift certificate. I don't want to fall into any type of holiday scam.

Does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants that sell these on site? Or know of a REPUTABLE website that does?

Please let me know. I would really like to create "date night baskets" for my parents and in-laws. Thank you!
Five answers:
Alyce
2009-11-30 11:53:30 UTC
restaurant.com is one.

But be aware - you are purchasing more of a coupon, than a gift certificate - they come with a lot of restrictions. Someone else posted a question about giving these as gifts - and the consensus was that it was kind of tacky and too much of a burden to put on the gift recipient. So it would be better to pay regular price for one outright from the restaurant itself.
Nikki P
2009-11-30 13:22:41 UTC
Try http://www.restaurant.com

they do have new coupons each month so some may be sold out. As the month progresses the coupons do get less expensive and once you register they will send you e-mails with codes to reduce the cost even more.

If you go today and select a restaurant and purchase a certificate and put in the code "SAVE" when you check out the $25.00 coupon will cost you $2.00. (The code changes daily so this code won't be good tomorrow.)

BUT you have to read the restrictions for the coupon. Some are not good on weekends. Some are good for a purchase of $25.00 or more some are $75.00 or more.

I have never had a problem using the certificates.

Another way to save money on them, if you have a Discover card go to the Discover web site and search the Shop Discover and if you purchase the certificate through the Discover site you will get 5% cash back on the purchase. Not a lot when the cost of the certificate is $2.00 but if you are making a larger purchase it might be worth it. And as my Mom always said "A penny saved is a penny earned"

Happy shopping.
Lassie D
2014-10-22 19:49:33 UTC
Avoid restaurant.com certificates at ALL costs! Don't waste your time or paper!!! The purchased 'deals' usually require you to spend 3x more than you typically would for a fractional discount. i.e. I received a gift certificate for $25 at a local, small town, breakfast only cafe thinking, "Cool! I can treat myself and my son there for breakfast!" Not so, fine print "Minimum $50 purchase required"???? This is a place where, even if you took a group of 10 people to, you'd struggle to spend $50 on one bill!!! What sucks is that someone actually spends the money buying the coupon that will probably never be used, so restaurant.com AND the business get money without any services needed!
nolameg
2009-11-30 18:15:12 UTC
Yeah, I use restaurant.com a lot... if you sign up for their email list - they send you codes for 50-80% off the regular price. So at 80% off you're getting a $25 coupon for $2 ect... and its a coupon more than a gift certificate.. you have to spend $35, to get the $25 coupon.. ect...

Most of them have restrictions such as "excludes alchohol" or only good on m-fri... or auto gratuity.

still.. they save me a ton of money while traveling...
ginaniu
2009-12-02 16:40:46 UTC
Do make sure you read all the print when buying coupons like restaurant.com because they include a LOT of restrictions. Restrictions include having to have a total of a certain amount; using them only on certain days; not including beverages - usually not including alcohol. READ CAREFULLY!